Make sure you order your turf for the day you are going to lay your new lawn. It is very important to lay your new turf as soon as it is delivered.
- Begin watering your lawn within 30 minutes of installation, as turf is a living plant that requires ground contact and moisture to prosper.
- Begin laying turf along the longest straight line, such as a driveway or path.
- Butt and push edges and ends against each other tightly, without stretching and avoid gaps or overlaps.
- Stagger the joints in each row in a brick like fashion using a sharp knife or shovel to trim corners etc (avoid leaving small strips at outer edges, as they will not retain moisture).
- On slopes, avoid walking or kneeling on the turf as much as you can, whilst it is being installed or just after watering.
- Once installed, roll the entire turfed area, this will improve the turf/soil contact and remove any unwanted air pockets. You can hire rollers from Kennard’s Hire or Ready Hire.
- Avoid heavy traffic on your new lawn during the first 4 weeks, by doing so, this will give the roots an opportunity to firmly knit with the soil & will ensure the turf remains level.